Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Growing up and letting go in the dark

The birdies have flown the coup. They grew up, learned to fly, and have left our little balcony. Sigh....

Don't worry, they left me a wonderful present. Lots and lots and lots of bird poo on my porch. Not exactly the parting gift I had hoped for, but they are birds after all.

We have been having some crazy thunder and lightning storms this past week. Monday night it was so crazy and stormy the entire island lost power at about 10:30pm and did not regain it until the following evening. I have never been through a storm like that (to my recollection at least) and it was quite something. Our apartment doesn't have any rooms without windows, so there was no avoiding the lightning. I think we stayed up well past midnight watching the lightning trying to count how many lightning bolts we saw touch ground. Or, touch the sky? Do lightning bolts start from the ground and reach the sky? I can't remember from high school science classes. So.... that was fun. And by fun, I mean not very enjoyable. We had to throw quite a bit of stuff from our fridge away as it had spoiled, but luckily it wasn't a ton since we hadn't been grocery shopping recently. I did have fun cleaning up the carton of ice cream that melted all down the side of the freezer and pooled under the fridge.

Classes are still chugging along... I have about 2.5 weeks of class left, then finals. Eeeeek! Getting to go home soon keeps me motivated a bit though, so that is good.

How 'bout those baby birdies, eh?

7/16 They have funny looking stubs of feathers


7/16 Much more aware of their surroundings, they were able to track me as I moved.


7/18 FEATHERS!!! Real ones! At this point they were walking around the nest a little.

7/19 No pictures, but they started flapping their wings a lot while walking around the nest. HUGE thunder storm that night.

7/20 In the morning I startled the birds, and all three (parent and both babies) flew off together, never to come back. Sigh.... no pictures either.

30 days until I fly home!

No comments:

Post a Comment