Wednesday, August 3, 2011

No sweatshirt babies for this Rossie!

I passed my mock spay procedure! Yay!!

The Rossie model we "spay" is mostly made from PCV piping, tubes and fabric. It's pretty high tech. No really, it is! We're (as far as I understand) one of a few schools using such a model before throwing students at live patients. Pretty cool, right?

Here I am the night before my exam practicing as best I can with the limited supplies I have. The power kept going out that night because of the stormy weather we've been having. Matt assisted by holding up a flashlight for me. It was an OISK (only in St. Kitts) moment to be sure.

Ironing board = surgery table

Extra hemostats = towel clamps

Imaginary over-drape = sterile field

Sweatshirt tube thing = dog

Oh noes! My patient is already cut open and bleeding! (See the red dots sticking out of the "incision"? Those are the bleeding vessels in the skin that I have to ligate before continuing with the procedure)

Creating my sterile field with quarter drapes. Except that I only have two...


I think I was looking for the uterine horn. No snook hook to practice with at home so the end of a curved kelly hemostat it was! 

That is all the exciting news I have for now. Time to really buckle down and prepare for finals. Uuuuuugh.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! And after assisting in surgery I actually understand what you are talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! You have an interesting website. It is nice to visit here.

    ReplyDelete