Saturday, May 29, 2010

This is St. Kitts...

It's been quite a trying week.

My internet has been out most of the week, thankfully it is working currently. I've been fighting with The Cable (yes, that is the name of the cable company here) to get it fixed and to fix billing errors, but somehow they manager that I keep getting transferred to is never there... interesting...

Also, we (as in the entire island) have been out of power a lot this week. Here is why: St. Kitts News If you don't want to read the article, short of it is that the power generators on the island are failing one after another and they can't seem to get them fixed. Sweeeeeeet.

The weather has been... how can I describe this... well, monsoon like. Yes, monsoon-ish. Raining HARD, most of the day. Wait, Laura, aren't you from Oregon? Shouldn't rain be no problem for you? Well yes, thank you for noticing blog, I am from Oregon and normally I enjoy rain, but it is a bit different here. In St. Kitts the roads get washed out, gaughts are flooded and carry little cars away. (Gaught, by the way, appears to be a St. Kitts-ism for a gulley that transects a road to try and carry water from uphill down to the sea to prevent flooding. Not sure if anywhere else calls them gaughts, but they label them here as such.) If you want to see what the next 10 days will look like here, just check this out. Now, my absolute most favorite part of this whole monsoon weather has definitely been my 2nd story apartment flooding.

Wait, whaaaaaaaaa?

Yup. 2nd story apartment. Flooded. Ish.

One of my windows has a problem with it, and somehow managed to appear 100% closed, but was not, and instead of keeping water out, seemed to funnel gallons of rainwater into my apartment behind my couch and desk in a matter of hours. It took all of my freshly cleaned towels then some to mop up all of the water. It was like having a cute little waterfall from my window sill onto my floor. Cute, if it were outside. A royal pain if inside your house.

So, that's about it. Studying has been oh so exciting.... meh.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend all! I'll be in class on Monday, so enjoy your day off (if you have it) for me!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Do you get a break for the summer? If so, when is it? It's hard to believe you have almost been in school for a year. :)

    ReplyDelete