Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving St. Kitts Style!

complete with coconuts!

Yes, that is a coconut. More later
I trust everyone had a delicious and wonderful family-filled Thanksgiving! And that you ate an extra bite of all the good stuff for me!

Matt and I had an enjoyable Thanksgiving, but of course it was no match for an Oregon Thanksgiving with our families. For dinner we went to the same place as last year, Ballahoo's. They did a great job of re-creating a home-made thanksgiving dinner, although it just didn't seem to be quite right. Probably because we didn't spend all day preparing for it and making our house smell absolutely amazing. It is a shame our kitchens and ovens are not bigger, otherwise we would definitely be making our own Thanksgiving dinner!

At dinner in town at Ballahoo's

With good friends!
After dinner we went to a friend's house for dessert, and oh my goodness, there was dessert! Lots and lots of dessert. Yes, I did eat as much as I possibly could, and yes it was amazing. I forgot to take pictures there, sorry. As we were leaving that friend's house, I noticed a coconut had recently fallen from a tree and was lying on the ground. For some reason, I decided it was a good idea to pick it up and bring it home. Nope, I have never de-husked a coconut before, and no I had no idea how we were going to go about it, but yet it sounded like a good idea. And so the coconut massacre followed...

Tools of the trade. That is all of the husk we had to rip/pry off to get to the coconut shell. Too bad we didn't think of taking a picture of the intact coconut before this all happened.
Matt shaking the husked coconut to inspect the amount of coconut water inside. There appeared to be quite a bit!
So excite! We opened it! There was over 1 cup of coconut water inside!!!

So that was our Thanksgiving, complete with a coconut.

T minus 3 weeks until we are back in Oregon!!! :)

1 comment: