Thursday, November 12, 2009

Charolais Cows, Grouper Fish, & Zombies

Life sounds exciting, right??

Would you believe me if I told you that I'll be back in Oregon in 38 days?? I will, so you'll have to believe me.

This last Tuesday was the end of our 2nd set of midterm exams! Woot! Now there are only 6 exams between me and Oregon. Sigh...

Nutrition went well though, I was happy with the way the test went compared to last time. (Still bitter about the forbs though!) The new test question that everyone is upset about goes something like this: "What is required of a feed bunker for goats?" A) It to be locked. B) Vermin proof C) Dry. D) B and C, or E) All of the above

The answer is for it to only be vermin proof and dry, but this awesome video we watched in class entitled "The British Goat Society" recommended that it be locked too, as goats are escape artists. His notes only mentioned the vermin and dry part. So... plenty of students are upset about this. I learned his ways and got it right. Still a stupid question, no doubt.

That night I went out to dinner with friends. We were celebrating Janette's birthday and the end of that round of exams. The restaurant we went to is called "Ballahoo's"; it is right in the center of downtown on a rooftop overlooking the "circle". Simply, it was awesome. I had Grouper Fish with fruit salsa, it was delicious.

After dinner we decided to go to a movie at the local theatre, which is actually really nice as it is only a couple of years old. I got a movie ticket, large soda and popcorn for $18 EC, or about $6 US. Crazy awesome, right? Ed and I saw "Zombieland", most everyone else saw "Paranormal Activity" or something like that. Needless to say, Zombieland, although technically a comedy, was as scary of a movie as I could handle. It is actually really funny thinking about it now, but at the time, I was terrified. I kept jumping and trying to curl up into a ball in my seat (which is against the rules by the way, no feet anywhere except the ground). Consequently, a staff member came in and stood at the end of my row for at least 10 minutes watching me and making sure I did not put my feet on the seat, or else! I've actually heard of people getting kicked out of the theater for that very reason, so I obeyed as difficult as it was. Couldn't he tell how much I needed the fetal position???

Very last minute like, I got invited to a night catamaran trip tomorrow! Only $100 EC (about $35 US) will get me 6 hours of catamaran time with an all you can drink open bar. Ahh... life in the caribbean is soooo horrible. How will I ever survive?!? How is that Oregon rain treating everyone about now?? :) Don't hate me, please?! (Again no worries, you know I'm not one to drink myself into a drunken stupor.)

So, that's about it. Oh, I forgot to explain the Charolais cow. We had to learn cow and goat breeds for our nutrition exam. Apparently he has trouble with Hereford (which he pronounces "Hair-a-Ford" by the way... those British...) and Simmentals and exam questions in the past, so we were all worried about that, but he gave us the most obvious cow breed ever... the only ALL WHITE cow breed, the Charolais. See, he isn't ALL bad. Oh and nubian goats have floppy ears. That was a test question too. Wait, what? I'm in vet school? Oh, okay, I'd like to be tested on floppy ear breeds please!

If you didn't know I was a sarcastic person, please understand that fact, then re-read this entire post. It should be more fun that way.


Pictures!!!
Molly and Beth in the stairway up to Ballahoo's (last two descriptors are obvious... sorry)



In town looking at the "circle"



Looking up the street, Scotiabank! Thats my Caribbean bank. Sweet, no?

I spy a cruise ship... do you???

Megan, Beth, and Molly in Ballahoo's



Grouper Fish! The rice is the traditional side dish served EVERYWHERE, its called rice and peas, or peas and rice, or pigeon peas and rice, or any similar combination of rice and a bean. Mmm... mango and pineapple salsa was awesome too!



The group at dinner. Nom nom nom...



Happy Birthday Janette!!! They gave her free cake, we didn't even ask! Super nice lady who owns the place.



My camera was doing soooo well... then this. Sigh...

P.S.

Thanksgiving is 2 weeks away. Sadness...

No oven, no ginormous slowly roasted turkey, just instant mashed potatoes, maybe some sweet potatoes, Stove Top stuffing and lunch meat style turkey. Sigh.


2 comments:

  1. you will be getting something in the mail soon! hopefully in a couple of weeks, I should be able to send it by next Wednesday :-)

    And that is pretty frickin' hilarious about the feet police at the movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. has the feed from you blog been disabled? It won't show me when you've updated your blog anymore.

    ReplyDelete