Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My donkey is a bad ass.

Which way do you mean that Laura??

Both.

I did an arthrocentesis today!! Otherwise known as a "joint tap". Basically, I placed a needle in one of his joints and withdrew synovial fluid, then injected antibiotics into it.

Aubie (the donkey) was a stellar patient except for anything involving his jugular. Gotta say, I don't blame him. (This is the bad ass = naughty donkey part)

After surgery, when he recovered from anesthesia I took him back out to the pasture to get some food (sugar cane grass). He walked around a bit, then went right up to the feeder where about 10 other donkeys were and pushed them out of the way to get to his share of grass. It was pretty hilarious actually, watching him throw his hind end around like a bumper car to knock the others off balance and out of his way.  (This is the bad ass = awesomely cool donkey part)

Ahhhh vet school, you make me love you even on crazy 12 hour days like today.

2 comments:

  1. He sounds fun! I'm glad you are enjoying something equine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alanna! I am having a lot of fun with Aubie (the donkey). Surprisingly enough, I do actually enjoy quite a bit of the large animal things we do. I have an equine rotation in a few weeks where I'll be taking care of a horse for 8 days. I've never done that before, it will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete