Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Lovely Vacation


Ahh, vacation. Sequim was cold, but gorgeous. The transition from 100 degree heat in Corvallis was difficult, but blankets and campfires helped to counter that. Pictured above is a view from the "Spit" which is a long stretch of beach with water on either side, stretching about 5 miles.

It was a busy week, we went hiking on two different days up in the mountains where there was much more sun (shorts and tank tops welcome). Two other days were spent in the water paddling in kayaks (jackets required). Overall it was very relaxing and enjoyable.


Mount Olympia as viewed from Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park


Kayaking in a harbor near Sequim


I read "Water for Elephants" while I was there, it was so good I could hardly put it down! I stayed up late the last night with a headlamp to finish it just because I couldn't wait another day to hear the end. Turns out, I read the last chapter in the prologue, just didn't remember I had. Sort of amusing since I was working so hard to figure out how the story ended, even though I had already read the end but didn't know it.

We also went to see tide pools - you would not believe the size of the sea life there! The pictures really don't do them any justice. We walked out at low tide (of course) over these HUGE muscles that were just plastering the rocks everywhere. It has hard to not cringe at every step worried you're hurting them. Its sort of like walking on a bed of nails though, so it really was not damaging, but hard to believe it was not.



Time to start packing, unpacking, and repacking again. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment