Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm a nerd...

I was studying anatomy this evening and started cracking up after reading this:

"The clavicle is reduced to a fibrous intersection in the brachiocephalicus. In the dog a nubbin of bone, and in the cat a slender rodlet, is embedded in the intersection; their sole importance lies in the risk of misinterpretation when they are seen in radiographs."

Hahahahaha. I like that this textbook author has a sense of humor. (Basically, the author was saying that this bone that is hardly even a bone, sometimes it is just cartilage, and it just gets in the way when you're trying to read an x-ray)

Also, in the introduction of the book, the author talks about using proper terminology when studying anatomy to prevent ambiguity, but when talking to "laypeople" to use everyday terms instead. Laypeople?? haha, when was the last time you heard the word "laypeople" used??

Also, I now know how long bones are formed in a fetus where cartilage once held its place. Oh yes, and it is only day two.

Tomorrow we'll be examining bones of the thoracic forelimbs. Sweet! Friday we make our first cuts into our cadavers. Oh, I learned how the cadavers are prepared today too, but I'll spare you on that one.

Up way too late, and I have class WAY too early. Goodnight all.

2 comments:

  1. I use the word laypeople all the time. For example, "Laura is a layperson. Please refrain from using words containing more than three syllables."

    ReplyDelete