Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Rouuuund

Hokay, so there's the Omasum. Chillin'. Dang, that is a SWEET Omasum you might say. Rouuuuund.


Molly's lovely art hanging proudly on the back of my door

A little tribute to "The End of the World" (see below), and gross anatomy of the rumen. The omasum is the very round part of the rumen (so, one of the "four" stomachs a cow has). Specifically, the omasum is the 3rd or the 4 compartments. It is also nick-named the "butcher's bible" as it looks like a bible when you slice it open. Lots of little thin pages. It is used to grind up food particles. Too much technical information? Sorry.

In case you want to watch the original "The End of the World"




I keep having interesting thoughts during class that I try to remember to blog about, but alas, they disappear as soon as my fingers hit the keyboard.

Studying for finals is going well. I'm starting to feel more confident and less of the "I have no idea what I'm doing, how will I ever pass my finals?!?!" feeling.

We have a free dinner tonight! Woot! They sent us the menu and it is supposed to be a full holiday dinner... mmmm..... I heart food.

Speaking of food, I have had the most ginormous appetite ever since I recovered from being ill. I think my stomach is trying to make up for lost time. I don't blame it, food is delicious, so why not?

I'll try to remember to post a picture of the tree they decorated as a Christmas tree in the center grassy area at the dorms. It's cute, and helps to remind us that in fact, this is December, and not just a reaaaaaally long July. Sure feels like July.... still 80+ degrees here, and sunny, and gorgeous, and raining.

What's up with Oregon, by the way??? 8 degrees today?!?!?!?! It had better warm up by the 18th... I'm not sure I can handle that kind of temperature change. Laura might just freeze into a solid block stepping off the plane, then no one would be happy, especially me.


I have another card to add to my collection because Gina is so awesome and sent me an adorable Thanksgiving card. Thank you Gina!

More random pictures....


The rest of the back of my door. It started with a few pictures and has morphed into this collage...



Being bored in Microanatomy on Thanksgiving Day led to this artistic creation by Molly and I. 
Highlighters on Recycled Printer Paper. (Super fancy, I know)

Also, please note Jackie's super awesome "Save the date" magnet in the upper L corner. Super awesome. :)

 

St. Kitts stamps. AIDS is a problem. Cool idea, right?
Downtown there is also one of the "red ribbons"  as a ginormous sculpture that was made out of  recycled water bottles pained red. Another good idea in my opinion. Double whammy - recycle and don't get AIDS. 

Lastly, I'd like to share with you a video we watched in our last day of Nutrition lecture while talking about obesity in pets.

Dogs are easy to exercise, you throw a ball, they go get it. Cats on the other hand... not so willing to entertain the idea of "exercise". Except these cats... they seem to be quite happy...




On that note, I am going to go back to studying gross anatomy as I have not 100% learned all of the little tiny structures of the heart and lungs and GI tract and vessels and nerves and so on, of which, I'll probably hardly ever use in clinics. I mean really, how often am I going to do rectal palpations on horses and try to count the bands on the cecum to make sure its the cecum?? Really?? Psh. I'll know it anyway....

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, that video of the cats had me laughing so hard! I'm so glad you got my card! And, I hope that it warms up before you get back too. This cold weather is just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete