Tuesday, December 1, 2009

17 days...

T-minus 17 days and I'll be back in Oregon for 2.5 weeks. Very exciting.

Tomorrow is the last day of Physiology, then we just have review sessions until the final (which of course is the last final scheduled). I suppose that means I'll have plenty of time to prepare... or extra time to focus on anatomy... or both?

It's a random thoughts sort of day... nothing in particular to tell.

We had a few power outages today, for no particular reason that I can see. Its all just part of island life I suppose. I'm very glad my alarm clock is on batteries though or else I highly doubt I'd make it to my first class of the day.

I have yet another reason to be thankful for my nearly year of work as a tech at Ark. In our nutrition lab we learned about body condition scoring (BCS) dogs and cats to determine if they're underweight, ideal weight, or overweight. I was one of 3-4 students who have ever done this, or known about it. I was very surprised to learn this. At Ark, they BCS every pet that walks in the door, no matter if it is healthy, ill, there for surgery, boarding... all of them. And its awesome. Anyway, so that was good. I'm not so much a fan of this dude teaching our small animal nutrition... but you can't like 'em all, right? At least he is just a visiting professor and I won't have to see him again. Unless I run into him in Corvallis or Eugene sometime considering he is from Oregon... eh. He's never met me, no biggie.

We get PJ sometime very soon! That's our car, by the way. AND, we get to move our stuff into the new house before we leave, even better! SOOOOO excited for a house. A real kitchen (with an OVEN!), a bedroom that I don't cook, sleep, eat, and study in, a REAL couch, and a TV. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. Oh, and it has an ocean view from its gorgeous wrap around porch.

I bought 3 DVD's this last weekend from the guy on the street selling DVD's out of a box. Oh yeah, that's right. 3 DVD's for $25... EC that is. (Oh, about $2 or $3 US per movie) And they're pretty good quality for being pirated.

Tonight I washed my lab coat (the one that I wear nearly ever day in gross anatomy lab to dissect various animal cadavers) for the first time all semester. To my surprise, it came out nice and sparkling white! Now I don't want to go get it all nasty again tomorrow. It'll take all of 2 seconds considering we're using nasty buckets of donkey and sheep viscera to learn abdominal anatomy of ruminants and equine.

Too much reality? Sorry. Vet school can be gross sometimes.

I'm trying to eat all the food left in my cupboards. I have lots of pasta, and rice... but not much else... hmm...

Cereal it is!

Alright, that's all I've got. Very boring today. Please forgive... it's all I've got.
Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. but suddenly your feed is getting to my blog again!!! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura!

    That is kinda weird with the BCS. I've been working as an assisstant at a vet for almost 3 years now, and we check every animal too. We sadly see a lot of 4s!
    If you don't mind me asking, how do you deal with the financial situtation! I know that we can't work there. Does money for housing and food and stuff come from loans too? I think that the financial situation makes me most nervous of vet school.

    ReplyDelete