Sunday, October 4, 2009

Food!

Apparently this blog is becoming more about food than school or the island. Food is a big deal you know, especially in my book.

I made pasta salad tonight! Molly gave me the idea when she started talking about wanting to make a pasta salad, then I realized that I had all of the ingredients to make one! I made some penne pasta, chopped some olives, bell pepper, tiny slightly spicy peppers that Molly gave me, artichoke hearts, canned chicken breast, and black beans, tossed them all together with Kraft Roasted Red Pepper Italian salad dressing, and voila! Pasta salad! And there should be enough of it to last me through the week! Even better.




Yes, you did read that right. I, Laura, put black beans (by choice) in my pasta salad. And it was gooood. Yum. Things change... deal. Don't count on my opinion of tomatoes changing any time soon though.

I bought an avocado from the veggie man on campus this past Wednesday with high hopes of making guacamole with the very spicy salsa in my fridge. I bought the avocado, and I still have the salsa, but there will be no guacamole. Would you like to know why? Because I am too inpatient, that is why. The avocado was not ripe, and since they're a different breed than the ones we get in the US, I wasn't sure how to tell when it would be ripe... so the 2nd day I had it I said to myself "what the hell, we'll just see how close we are" and cut it right open. Not even close. Hard as a rock. The pit even split in half without using a knife. Sigh. I kept the cut halves in my fridge for a while, one half is still there actually... not sure why since it won't ripen. Take two on Wednesday. Too bad they're so expensive. I'll be more patient this time (I hope).



We went to the grocery store today (Molly, Allison and I - my future roommates!) and had some fun. I'm getting more used to looking for items that will last me a while, be quick and easy to prepare and are less expensive than my usuals. AND! I finally found where IGA (the closer grocery store out of the two we frequent) has soy milk. FINALLY. Guess, just guess where they put it. Okay, I'll tell. Right between baby formula and baby food. Who would've guessed. I also found Ribena (in the juice isle, where it makes sense) in a carton! That's exciting.




Okay, I'm done talking about food. I think.

Tomorrow I have my first gross anatomy test. Three days ago I was scared shitless of this exam, but now I feel comfortable, hence why I have spent the last hour cooking, and now writing this blog. I'm relaxed and I feel okay about this exam tomorrow, which starts at 7am by the way. Cruel, right? Oh, and it is 3 hours long. Even better.

Wednesday is my first physiology exam. That's all I have to say about that.

(haha?)

Okay, I'll finally tell, since you've been nice about guessing and all. We went with the older, burlier, lovely 80's painted SUV. Settled for $4500 US. Expensive, but it runs great, and should be way safer than any other vehicles we've seen. Its a lot of fun to drive, I'm super excited. The only downside is that we have to wait until December to get it. Sigh...

And... the house! We got the house! It is only a mile from campus, 3 bedrooms (one of which is a master that Matt and I will share), wrap around porch with a gorgeous view of the ocean, large kitchen and living rooms, avocado and mango trees out back, and very secure. The landlord is very nice and comes highly recommended by the current tenants. Rent is only $1500 plus utilities; this seems great to me for being on an island. It'll be sweet. Pictures will come in January when we move in.

P.S. I suck at taking pictures. Will continue to work on that. Adios!

1 comment:

  1. OMG you have no idea how delicious that pasta salad looks! I just had breakfast but yum!

    ReplyDelete